Since we have deferred our turkey festivities to Friday or Saturday depending on the patient's status, I got a few things done today. Coffee drinking, some housework - and my holiday shopping.
I have made a decision not to add to anyone's clutter this year, and I don't want to add to my own clutter either. We don't exchange gifts with too many people any more, and George and I get each other gifts during the year when the spirit moves us and we find something that tickles our fancy. We don't wait for arbitrary dates like birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, or the consumer frenzy that is Christmas. We observe the holidays, we just don't do gifts for each other. Our choice, our way.
We do gift cards for the nieces and nephews and they are very happy with that. They are all teenagers, except the oldest, Jonathan, who turned 22 yesterday! Happy birthday, Jon - how did you get so old??? And how did I get so old????
George's parents get a tea basket and other food gifts - stuff to be consumed. They don't want any more "things" and they are tea drinkers. I found Bigelow.com tea catalog a few years ago, and they are on line as well. I love their teas, so a-ordering I did go.
I've been talking with my mother about Heifer International, an organization that helps underprivileged people get livestock to help them with their livelihood - sources of milk, eggs, wool, to use and to sell. The recipient family promises to share the offspring of their animal with their neighbors, so the gift continues to enrich the community for years to come.
Anyway, we researched the organization and like what we see. So George, Mom and I are sponsoring a heifer - Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to all of us. Much more fulfilling that another sweater or a gadget for the kitchen.
If you want to check out the organization, go to http://www.heifer.org
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I so like you :)
We celebrate our anniversary mostly by honoring our tradition of forgetting it! Valentine's Day is a big kiss and a hug. Birthdays are getting more and more half-*assed, of is that less and less *assed?-- Christmas is down to jsut us three, and then mostly Sunaliza.
Together with Sinan's parents we support the educational battles of a girl (middle school) out in eastern Turkey, pay the school fees, buy the books, uniform, etc. We send out boxes of clothes and books when we have a enough to make a load.
I've heard of a program here in turkey like your heifer program-- only it is for families in the Black Se region with leprosy(!)
Last year I edited the website of the Physically Disabled Foundation when I realized I was seriously behind in my self-pledge to buy someone a wheelchair. In my case time was a better option than organizing the contacts.
Post a Comment