Monday, November 20, 2006

Ahhh....The Smells of the Season

I'm running a little dry on inspiration, as usual.

I spent Saturday in bed with an awful cold that has sapped my energy. Then Sunday afternoon I had to get moving because my poor husband came down with the same thing (after the grocery shopping trip).

We both dragged our sniffly sorry asses to work today. Then, I dragged my tired butt to school this evening. Boy, I'll be glad when this semester is over in a couple of weeks.

It may be the germs affecting my judgment, or the Nyquil, but here I will recreate my drive home this evening. First, you need to know that we are experiencing "frigid" weather here in the Houston area. It was 45 degrees when I was driving home at 8:30 p.m. Every newer home in the area has a wood-burning fireplace, and every time the temp dips below 60 at night, people rush to burn logs in their living room focal points. Ninety-seven percent of the year, they are useless. But whenever we have the slightest excuse to use them, we jump at the chance. (For the record, we don't burn logs. We have a gas fireplace).

Anyway, as I drove down the back roads around Friendswood on my way home from school tonight, I was listening to some mellow jazz and trying to purge the confused physics equations from my brain.

Here is what transpired:

Me: **Sniff, sniff**

Me: "Hmmm. wood smoke. Makes my poor irritated nose burn."

A few hundred feet later....

Me: *Sniff, sniff**

Me: "Oh, no, dead skunk!!! My eyes are watering!"

A few seconds later....

Me: **Sniff, sniff**

Me: "Oh my god, Smoked Skunk!! Ewwwwwww!!!!!

Why doesn't my nose plug up when I really need it??

Be glad that this post does offer a Smell-o-vision option.

No comments: